||Think about it|
|Mass tourism is a form of
tourism that involves tens of thousands of people going to the same
resort often at the same time of year. It is the most popular form
of tourism as it is often the cheapest way to holiday, and is often sold
as a PACKAGE DEAL. A package deal is
one in which all of the tourists needs are catered for by one company
(such as Thomas Cook), these needs include travel/flights, activities,
accommodation and sometimes food (called full board when all meals are
included, half board includes 2 meals a day whilst self-catering means
you cook for yourself). These types of holiday are often the
opposite to sustainable tourism,
extreme tourism and
There are many types of mass tourism, including skiing in the mountains, sunbathing on a beach, visiting a theme park (e.g. Euro Disney near Paris) or taking a cruise. Governments and local people often support mass tourism because it generates a lot of income for local areas.
1) Jobs are generated by tourism in many areas - in the initial construction of the resorts, in travel, in food provision and in other service related industries.
2) Local people benefit directly from employment
3) Roads, rail, facilities, electricity services etc. all need improving to accommodate the tourists - local people also benefit from these INFRASTRUCTURE developments.
4) Transport facilities are developed
5) The local tax base increases so the local government/council can invest in schools, healthcare and social services.
6) Tourists introduce new values and cultures and learn about new cultures- this causes cultural UNDERSTANDING
1) TNCs (Trans National Corporations) from rich countries are often involved - this can result in a lot of profits leaving the country.
2 Jobs can be seasonal - especially in beach and skiing based resorts. People can therefore find themselves out of work in the close season.
3) Tourists consume huge amounts of resources including food and water - this type of tourism is particularly UNSUSTAINABLE in this manner.
4) Tourists introduce new values and cultures - this causes cultural pollution.
5) Land is lost from farming to tourist developments.
The case study of mass tourism you have is from Jamaica
Try the dust bin game at the base of the page
2) Read the information opposite and complete this gap fill exercise
3) Watch the BBC video on this page - what are the impacts of mass tourism on Ibiza?
by Rob Gamesby is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Contact - firstname.lastname@example.org